Friday 10 October 2014

Clovelly

We took our friends Lynn and her husband over to Clovelly. This quaint little village sits on a very steep hill.....another one!   We love our hills here in Devon.






Lynn and I kept stopping to take photos, so the lads had to keep waiting for us...


The cobbled street was quite difficult to walk on, especially as it was so steep.  Going back up proved to be much easier.






I loved the carved design on this building...










at this point, Lynn and I opted to sit on this bench and do some sketching.  We left the lads to walk the rest of the way down to the harbour....






There was something nice about looking down onto the rooftops...

which I sketched, but added the paint later.....



We had such a good day with Lynn and her husband Fred
and it was lovely to take them around our
area to show them some of the sights.

Lynn and I got so much fun out of sketching together.









 




15 comments:

CJ Kennedy said...

What a beautiful place! I love the fruit carvings on the house. Reminds me of della robia fruit. I'm also surprised how green your trees are. We have reached peak color here in New England.

Christine said...

just charming this place is!

ann @ studiohyde said...

Some of the trees are changing here, but slower down here in Devon than up in the north.

ann @ studiohyde said...

It's quite unique Christine.

robin cox walsh said...

Is there anywhere in the UK that doesn’t look like a picture postcard? I’m seriously jealous…… ;)

Eileen H said...

What a quaint place that is. Lovely views.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Oh there are plenty of places that have a Grot spot Robin, lol :-)

ann @ studiohyde said...

It has got lovely views Eileen, and one heck of a steep walk too. I don't know how the people manage to live there, but I guess they get used to it. All the houses in Clovelly are owned by one estate and everyone rents the properties. I don't know about nowadays, but I do know that at one time there was a waiting list for houses there.

Shammickite said...

Another familiar sight! Clovelly is so beautiful. I was surprised to see that we had to pay to go down the main street last time I was there, which was a long time ago! When I visited as a child, we just parked at the top, and walked down. Never got to ride on a donkey though, wonder if they are still there? And there was a jeep to take you up to the top the back way, but I always ran back up.... hahaha a lot younger then!!!

Anonymous said...

One of my favourite places, so it was lovely to see you photos and drawings :o)

PaintingWrite said...

Ann this looks so beautiful! Reminds me a little of Port Isaac in Cornwall where we visited on the painting holiday but only because of the steep narrow streets looking back down to a harbour - this is so pretty!

Judy said...

What a beautiful place, Ann! And how great to have met an artist friend in real life! You have made some wonderful trips, I just had a look at your previous posts.

ann @ studiohyde said...

Yes, the donkeys are still there. We went and said hello to them in their stables at the top. We could have driven round and been dropped off to walk round but it was better to park up and go through the large shop/cafe.

Laura said...

Lovely picturesque place Ann. Great sketches and photos. Thanks for sharing.

Down by the sea said...

I have always wanted to visit here, it looks so lovely in your pictures. The carved door way is stunning. Sarah x